LAFAYETTE, Ind (WLFI)— Franciscan Health Float Nurse Cathy Woodard was diagnosed with renal kidney failure 4 years ago.
"I actually kind of found out on accident,” said Woodard. “I had some lab work drawn for work"
Chronic Kidney disease has five stages. By stage 3 your Kidney is unable to function correctly.
Woodard was prepared to live with this life-threatening disease. Normally patients with stage 3 kidney failure aren’t put on the transplant list.
"They told me it could be three to five years before I could find a deceased donor,” said Woodard. “So finding a living donor was my best option"
Cathy, a Delphi native, started posting on her city's Facebook page. Her post received nearly 600 shares.
From one timeline to another. The post found its way on Woodard's coworker’s page, Tina Scott. Tina found Cathy’s story through a shared post on a mutual friend’s page.
"At first I didn't really recognize her,” said Kidney Donor and Franciscan Health Nurse Tina Scoot. “And then I was reading through and I was like oh I do know her."
Cathy and Tina didn’t have much in common other than being nurses. She was determined to help.
"Being a nurse you see a lot of things going into the hospital,” said Scott. “And I was like if I can help somebody now I want to do that"
After many tests, Tina was tested as a match for Cathy and the two were able to have the surgery in February of this year. Four days later Tina and Cathy were sent home.
"I'm grateful that I didn't get the chance to be sick like some patients are,” said Woodard. “But I'm, just anybody in this process of life that needs a donation, to share their story. Because you never know who might come along and save you."
- Franciscan nurse donates kidney
- Franciscan Health donates thousands of sheets to LUM
- Franciscan Health donates building to Lafayette Catholic School System
- Woman awaiting kidney transplant shares importance of organ donation
- Donating a kidney: an easy choice for Tom Murtaugh
- HIGHLIGHTS/BRACKETS: Franciscan Health Hoops Classic
- Franciscan Health Lafayette East's campus expanding
- Franciscan Health holds discussion about suicide prevention
- Franciscan Health Lafayette unveils new rehabilitation gym
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower