TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A former Amelia Earhart Elementary School teacher could spend a minimum of three and a maximum of 84 years behind bars based on a plea agreement made on Friday.
Joseph Kimerer pleaded guilty to eight charges involving sex crimes with children. Several were dropped in the deal, as Kimerer was originally facing 22 charges.
The charges include seven counts of vicarious sexual gratification, six of those a level four felony and one a level five. The last charge a level five felony, is for one count of attempted child exploitation.
Prosecutors said Kimerer taught his victims how to look up pornography on their cell phones. He also asked them to send him pictures of their genitals. The victims were all boys aged 12 or 13.
According to the plea agreement, Kimerer will be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life.
"There are a lot of things that go into his decision whether to enter a plea of guilty or not, I can tell you with this particular client one of the things he is most concerned about is not putting these children through a trial," said Kimerer's attorney Earl McCoy.
During the plea agreement, the state asked that Kimerer be taken into custody Friday. The defense argued saying that was inappropriate because Kimerer has cooperated the entire time.
The judge agreed with the defense, so Kimerer will remain on bond until his sentencing which is scheduled for April 5th.
- Former teacher and coach pleads guilty to sex crimes involving children
- Former Earhart Elementary teacher accused of child sex crimes in court Tuesday
- Two WL men charged with sex crimes against children after major investigation
- Former teacher pleads guilt to drug possession
- Fort Wayne Navy SEAL pleads not guilty to war crimes charges
- Mother pleads guilty to murders of children ages 3, 7 in Montgomery County
- Rensselaer man pleads guilty in kidnapping case
- Indianapolis councilman resigns, pleads guilty to charges
- Indiana prosecutor pleads guilty to confinement, battery