WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Steps toward building West Lafayette's new Target store are underway. Demolition of the former "Where Else" bar and Fresh Mix store is scheduled for this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The building is located at the corner of State Street and Northwestern Avenue. It has sat empty and boarded up since 2012.
Target announced plans to open a "neighborhood-style" store on the corner in April. In addition to the Target, the 5-story building will include 36 apartments.
West Lafayette Director of Development Erik Carlson said once the buildings are done, it's going to be a pretty quick turnaround.
"They should have most of the site cleared out before the end of the month," said Carlson. "They want to get construction going because they hope to have the store open and have occupancy in about 13 months."
Carlson said it will be a welcome addition to the area as more than 2,000 beds are being added to that area of Chauncey. The new Target will be the first neighborhood store in the state, and will employ 45 people.
- Former Where Else Bar, Fresh Mix store to be torn down Wednesday for new Target
- Meijer fresh vegetable recall
- Plans advance for West Lafayette small Target, mixed-use project
- So long, eyesore! Old Where Else and Fresh Mix come down in WL
- New "small format" Target store will open near Purdue
- West Lafayette Fresh Thyme announces opening date
- Wintry mix possible Saturday evening
- Mixed opinions on Purdue Global
- Cold week plus chances for wintry mix
- City leaders strive to keep Fresh City Market's doors open