LEBANON, Ind. (WISH) — Formal charges against the man accused of fatally shooting Deputy Jacob Pickett were announced Tuesday.
Anthony Baumgardt, 21, is believed to be the individual who fired the fatal shot at Pickett while he was assisting Lebanon police with a vehicle pursuit. Pickett chased the suspects after they bailed from the vehicle and was shot in the head by Baumgardt, according to officials.
The other two suspects involved in the incident were John Baldwin Jr. and John Baldwin Sr. The former is currently being held in the Boone County Jail, while the latter was questioned and later released.
According to the probable cause, the chase lasted for ten minutes where the driver, Baldwin Jr., led police through alleys, yards and other streets. Baumgardt eventually exited the vehicle when Baldwin Jr. collided with two other vehicles in a parking lot. Deputy Pickett exited his vehicle and engaged in an on foot pursuit with Baumgardt in the area of the 700 block of Indian Springs Road. Baumgardt eventually turned and fired the fatal shot toward Deputy Pickett. He was later shot by responding officers and taken into custody.
While being interviewed by investigators, Baumgardt said that he “shot a cop” because “they were going to take me to jail.” It was later confirmed that Baumgardt had an active warrant for his arrest that was issued on February 22.
According to online documents, Baumgardt faces charges of murder, carrying a handgun without a license, resisting law enforcement, felon carrying a handgun with having a prior conviction within 15 years, possession of methamphetamine and two counts of possession of marijuana.
Baldwin Jr. faces charges of auto theft, resisting law enforcement, criminal recklessness and leaving the scene of an accident for his role in the incident.
The Boone County prosecutor has said that he’ll review the possibility of seeking the death penalty in the case of Baumgardt.
Deputy Pickett’s procession was held Monday.
- Murder charge filed in Indiana deputy's death
- Murder charge dropped in fire death of NW Indiana woman
- Man charged with shooting deputy hears death penalty charge
- Two more men charged with murder in Deputy Jacob Pickett's death
- Charges filed in 1988 killing of Indiana girl
- Charges filed against drug suspects
- Man wanted on murder charges in Indiana and Texas arrested
- Indiana man charged in death of woman waives extradition
- Central Indiana woman formally charged in son's car death
- Drug charges filed against Rensselaer man