GREATER LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- Emergency Munchie Truck is one of the original food trucks in Lafayette. EMT is celebrating its seventh year in operation, and people rely on it for a good bite to eat at a familiar place.
This truck was actually created to cater to a specific audience. However, News 18 discovered many people don't even realize that.
"I was like you know what would be awesome? If there was an ambulance that would deliver mac and cheese," said Amber Davis, Owner of Emergency Munchie Truck.
This truck isn't saving lives, but it is saving the reputations of vegetarians.
"Some people that aren't vegetarian it kind of detours them, they think it's all rabbit food," Davis said.
"Before I was a vegetarian I thought it was all rabbit food," said Jonathan Wilson, a frequent customer at EMT.
But Davis said it doesn't have to be.
"We do major comfort food," she said. "We do mac and cheese, stuffed grilled cheese, all of our sandwiches are served on homemade waffles."
"Having a waffle instead of a bun. That's something that's completely different," Wilson said.
Emergency Munchie Truck has been rushing vegetarian eats to customers for almost seven years.
"Oh it's great. It's definitely one of my favorite places, especially being a vegetarian," said Wilson.
Davis has always enjoyed the challenge of cooking as a vegetarian.
"I had a lot of friends that said oh my gosh I could become a vegetarian if you cooked for me," she said. "So I just decided to take the leap and start it and everybody said I was crazy for opening a vegetarian food truck."
But there's more that just meatless options.
"We're doing vegan options, some gluten free items," Davis said.
EMT's goal is to provide an option for everyone.
"When you put a restriction on your diet it becomes the most exciting part of your life," Wilson said. "You can have so many more things. You can have tofu, so many different vegetables."
"Salads, vegetarian black bean burgers, vegan burgers," Davis added. "You're not gonna miss eating meat," Davis said.
Davis said she wants to offer all the newest food trends, which is why EMT has recently introduced CBD-infused desserts. The truck offers hemp-derived soft baked donuts and s'mores cookies with CBD isolate. It's all made by a baker who specializes in CBD products.
EMT's menu changes with the seasons, but you can view the current one here.
- Food Truck Friday: Emergency Vegetarian Eats by EMT
- Food Truck Friday: Fat Bottom Donuts
- Food Truck Fridays: Guac Box celebrates 1 year of truckin'
- FOOD TRUCK FRIDAY: Roasting, Toasting and Baking for the community
- FOOD TRUCK FRIDAY: Smolder a local favorite for BBQ
- EMT Dies in Miami County Crash
- Food Truck Fridays: L Kora serving authentic Mexican street food for five years and counting
- Lafayette School Corporation gets a food truck
- Food Truck Fridays: Tick Tock Tavern delivers timeless meals on wheels
- Food Truck Friday: Sheepdog Coffee Company brews a new kind of cafe experience