LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Two fitness fanatics at Club Newtone in Lafayette geared up to raise money for fallen firefighters.
Jarissa Gillaspy and Sandy Morrow borrowed fire gear from Lafayette and Frankfort fire departments and hit the stair steppers.Climbing flights of stairs like many of our fallen firefighters did at the Twin Towers on 9 - 11.
Their goal was to raise $500 for the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.. but they've almost doubled that amount and the goal just keeps getting higher. "I feel like once we hit it there's no reason not to just raise it. And so if we can keep going I don't want people to think that just because we hit the goal that means that it's enough because there's never going to be enough," said Gillespy.
After three hours of climbing stairs.. the two got a good perspective of what firefighters haul on a daily basis. "I really thought the boots would be what hung us up you because they're two sizes too big for us and bigger than the stairs, BUT these tanks. These tanks weigh 20, 30 pounds and they are just weighing us down," said Morrow.
Gillespy and Morrow climbed for three hours this afternoon. If you didn't see them at Club Newtone they say you can still donate for the next five days. You can donate by clicking here.
- Fitness fanatics gear up to raise money for fallen firefighters
- Lafayette Fire Department remembers fallen firefighters with ceremony
- 5K raises money for human trafficking victims
- Purdue Crew is rowing and raising money
- Students dance to raise money for Riley
- Cyclist ride to raise money for CASA
- Community raises money for disabled man
- Thousands race to raise money for education
- Lafayette Firefighters raise thousands for Muscular Dystrophy cause