WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Working out and staying healthy go hand in hand, and the last thing regulars want to worry about, is getting sick.
"The gym is one of the most common areas where germs are spread the most," said Park West Fitness employee Branden Kuxhausen.
It's becoming more and more common across Greater Lafayette. Gyms like Park West are required to have sanitation stations complete with spray bottles and towels.
"So we actually installed more sanitizer stands, we have Clorox wipes at some of the locations up and down stairs," said Kuxhausen.
While Park West employees make daily efforts to sanitize their facility. Some responsibility falls on people with memberships.
"They're doing what they're supposed to be doing, they're working hard and they're getting sweaty so you gotta clean it down to keep the germs and the other things away," said Park West Fitness member Preston Senesac.
Other members said being at the gym should not get in the way of their daily lives.
"I mean we all have jobs we you know go to school," said Park West Fitness member Loghan Minier. "So, I don't want to get sick and miss anything so going to the gym I definitely expect things to be clean."
Employees at Park West said personal hygiene can go along way while working out.
"If you want to, bring your own wipes," said Kuxhausen. "I've seen people bring their own little Clorox box and they'll wipe the bar down before they use it."
Employees said they emphasize health year around, but they are taking extra steps to make sure sickness doesn't spread.
- Fitness centers look to prevent spread of sickness
- Local schools working to prevent the flu from spreading
- Local church helps prevent the flu virus from spreading
- Christmas parade spreads holiday cheer
- Shop with the mayor spreads holiday cheer
- Annual Fire Prevention Show to happen Wednesday
- Seminar sheds light on crime prevention
- Preventing problems for those who are renting
- Franciscan Health holds discussion about suicide prevention
- Pinwheels planted to prevent child abuse