WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The inaugural Ouibache Music Festival celebrated the worlds influence on American music at the Tippecanoe Amphitheater.
Volunteers could be spotted around the venue wearing shirt that said “It’s pronounced WEE-buh-SHAY” on the back for anyone who didn’t quite know how to say “ouibache.”
Organizers said the original idea of the festival was to combine and revive several other festivals in the area. They say they are thankful for community support that made the event possible.
People could enjoy the various vendors food and craft vendors, craft beer, and cornhole.
The event prided itself on its diversity of genres represented
“It's an American roots festival that can be anything from gospel to jazz to blues to bluegrass to old time to Irish music so it encompasses a lot of really cool genres,” said Scott Freeman, President of the festival.
He said they had local, regional, national, and international groups come to share their sound with the community.
Event goers were even encouraged bring their own instruments to play and share.
Freeman said the festival has a much deeper meaning than just watching music groups perform on stage.
“it's a vehicle to be able to raise money for our mission,” he said. “Our mission is to be able to give music back to the community, to the youth, to schools, to kids that what to learn how to play this kind of stuff.”
Their goal for next year? To fill the entire Amphitheater field with music lovers.
The dates are already set for next year on September 27th to the 28th 2019.
- First Ouibache Music Festival shows diversity of American music
- Musical ‘Hamilton’ coming to Indy
- Greater Lafayette's hidden musical gem
- Music is unifying local churches
- Lafayette artists paint portraits to show diversity
- Students discuss diversity differences
- McCutcheon musical to touch on topic of human trafficking
- Frankfort teacher looks to create scholarships through music
- Glee Club celebrates 125 years of music-making at Purdue
- Elliott Hall of Music Installs Hearing Loop System