WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — First Dog Henry Holcomb has pranced through nearly all 92 counties. But for the first time Henry made his way to Purdue's Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
First Dog Henry Holcomb toured Purdue's Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Thursday. The visit comes as the school gears up for some major additions.
As we previously reported, the 1959 facility is no longer up to regulations and the school was at risk of losing its accreditation. A major gift from the state budget will give the university $73 million to help with upgrades.
During the visit, Henry and First Lady Janet Holcomb met with several vets. The two learned about existing technologies and how they will change once renovations are complete.
First Lady Holcomb said Henry approves of the facility and is looking forward to the changes.
"No dog loves going to the vet, so he was a little nervous at first but I think he finally figured out that he was not going to be receiving any shots or vaccinations.. he's already had those for this year," said Holcomb.
Purdue is one of 30 schools in the country with a veterinary medicine program.
Dean Willie Reed said the visit comes at an important time.
"We really needed this investment to advance veterinary medicine in our state because veterinary medicine plays such an important role in protecting animal health and human health as well," Reed.
"That's going to revolutionize the facilities here, obviously the school has grown and the capabilities of veterinary medicine has changed," said Holcomb.
- First Dog Henry Holcomb sniffs out Purdue's Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Purdue's new Veterinary Teaching Hospital moves forward
- Veterinary teaching hospital highest in survey rankings
- Purdue Veterinary Teaching Hospital gets put on "probationary accreditation"
- Purdue Veterinary Teaching Hospital is ranked highest in the nation
- Purdue: State Budget Committee approves $37M for veterinary school
- State approves funding for Purdue Veterinary College expansion
- Governor Holcomb names new Purdue student trustee
- Henry the dog: Pet of the Week for Oct 26
- Purdue Board of Trustees moves forward with vet teaching hospital plans