LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—Workers at Almost Home Humane Society are looking for the people who set off fireworks in their parking lot on July 4th.
"When you're blowing fireworks off right at the front door it defeated the whole purpose,” said Executive Director Roger Ganley.
Ganley said he was appalled when he arrived the next morning to find used fireworks in the parking lot.
"Our staff spent a lot of time doing extra things for the animals that day to prepare for July 4th evening,” said Ganley. “Leaving the TV on, the radios, giving them Kongs, extra stimulation."
Worker said they found the fireworks positioned behind a fence with wrappers in the front and whoever was firing off those fireworks made an effort to aim at the front of the building.
Volunteer Jasmine Peele said she doesn't understand why anyone would do something like this.
"When you know that there are animals in a shelter environment where it's already stressful enough to put them into even more stress by putting out fireworks,” said Peele.
She said regardless of the time of year. People should think about how lighting off fireworks can affect animals.
"If you're going to enjoy fireworks during any part of the year no matter the holiday,” said Peele. “Just be mindful and respectful of who you have around you."
Ganley said fireworks can stress animals out and cause harm.
"The dogs could be jumping up and down in the cages they could injure themselves they could break a leg,” said Ganley. “Break a nail, bleed, cut themselves."
To combat this from happening again the shelter plans to have Animal Control patrol the area next year and barricades. They also plan on looking into having more cameras.
All photos courtesy of Almost Home Humane Society.
- Fireworks set off in Almost Home Humane Society parking lot
- Overcrowding at Almost Home Humane Society
- A little bad luck, a lot of generosity for Almost Home Humane Society
- Almost Home Humane Society is Striking out Suffering
- Almost Home Humane Society hires new Executive Director
- Almost Home Humane Society taking donations, offering adoption special after furnace quits
- Almost Home Humane Society spaying and neutering for free to 'Beat the Heat'
- Almost Home Humane Society close to hiring a new executive director
- Bowling event helps humane society 'strike out suffering'
- McCutcheon H.S. class makes new drain covers for humane society