LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- There's been a recent uptick in tragic home fires in Indiana and with these cold temps continuing, the Lafayette Fire Department wants you to keep safety in mind.
"For 2017, the stats are just out for fatalities and it was 2,292 fatalities for the United States," said Fire Inspector Todd Trent. " It was 55 fatalities for the state of Indiana."
Trent encourages people to avoid using space heaters and other alternative heating if possible.
"Using supplement heaters that would be plugged directly into the wall - make sure they're three feet away from any combustible materials," said Trent.
He said only one space heater should be plugged into each electrical outlet. Never overload electrical outlets.
"There's about 46,000 fires annually that's driven by electrical issues and those happen between midnight and 6 a.m." said Trent.
Fire crews have seen zero deaths in Lafayette from fires that happened in 2017. Trent said more fatalities have happened in nearby counties and in older homes.
"If you see that you're furnace can't maintain, use blankets, extra clothing of that nature to help keep down the frostbite," said Trent.
He said ovens should never be used for heating. He said doing so can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Also, make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working, as they only last for ten years.