TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - The Indiana Fire Marshal Jim Greeson is encouraging Hoosiers to take fire safety seriously during Fire Prevention Week, October 7-13.
This year’s theme, “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware – fire can happen anywhere,” which aims to remind Hoosiers that following a few simple steps can reduce the chances of a fire and help everyone evacuate safely.
According to recent numbers, Indiana is on track for an increase in the number of fire-related deaths over the calendar year. The state has already recorded 67 fire-related deaths to date compared to 70 total fire-related deaths in 2017.
Marshal Greeson has a few tips for ensuring a safe home:
- Replace electric cords that are worn, frayed or covered with clothing, blankets or furniture.
- Clean dryer lint traps out after every use
- Flammable items should not be closer than three feet from fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or portable heaters
- Alarms should be replaced every eight to 10 years. Over time their sensors become less sensitive.
- Smoke alarms should be tested every month to make sure they are still working.
- Alarms should be placed at least 10 feet from a stove, as everyday cooking may be a trigger.
- Practice home fire drills twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with all residents. Practice using different routes to safety.
- If smoke, heat or flames block all established escape routes, stay in the room and call the fire department.
- Once outside, stay at the established meeting point. Never go back inside a burning building.
Click here for more information on fire prevention and safety.
- Fire Prevention Week kicks off on Monday
- Child Abuse Prevention Month kicks off in Lafayette
- Ivy Tech Week of Service Kicks Off
- Annual Fire Prevention Show to happen Wednesday
- Lafayette Fire Department's New Years Resolution: Prevent Deadly House Fires
- Lafayette Fire Department recognized for annual Fire Prevention show
- Red Ribbon Week kicks-off with annual breakfast
- Child Abuse Prevention Month underway
- Marvelous Monday
- Harrison's Pennell a finalist for Kohl's Kicking National Player of the Week