VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A Terre Haute Federal Correctional Officer has been arrested on several charges including conspiracy and bribery.
United States Attorney Josh Minkler reports Leon Perry III, 41 of Linton, is accused of allowing inmates to leave the grounds, have sexual relations on the grounds as well as bring contraband into the prison.
Officials report this was all in exchange for cash and other items.
“Mr. Perry put the safety and welfare of the inmates, correctional officers, the institution and the entire Terre Haute community in jeopardy by allowing this to occur,” said Minkler. “He allowed greed and power to betray the confidence we place in prison officials.”
Perry is facing charges of conspiracy for an officer to permit escape, conspiracy to bribe public officials, officer permitting escape, public official accepting a bribe and providing contraband in a prison.
The Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) is a medium-security prison for men operated by the Bureau of Prisons. Adjacent to the FCI is a minimum-security satellite camp, with no perimeter fencing commonly referred to as the Camp. Inmates at the Camp are generally permitted to roam the grounds but are forbidden from leaving without prior approval.
It is alleged that Perry agreed to be at a different part of the facility grounds when inmates left the facility and went with women to hotels in the nearby Terre Haute area. In exchange for the agreement, Perry accepted cash bribes.
It is further alleged that Perry accepted bribes, including cash and prescription medication, to allow prisoners to have sex with unauthorized visitors on prison grounds.
"Corruption by law enforcement officers in any facet of their work won't be tolerated," said W. Jay Abbott, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI's Indianapolis Division. "The illegal actions by the few corrupt officers undermine the public's confidence in the majority of law enforcement officers who are trustworthy public servants."
Perry faces up to 15 years imprisonment if convicted on all counts.
- Federal correctional officer arrested for conspiracy, bribery and other charges
- Northwestern Indiana mayor convicted of bribery, tax charge
- Anti-vaccination conspiracy theories thrive on Amazon
- Two correction officers charged for attempting to sell a handgun to an inmate
- Ex-Indiana sheriff’s bribery sentencing moved to January
- Northwestern Indiana mayor’s bribery trial delayed again
- Former Miami County corrections officer pleads guilty to dealing drugs
- Correction: Earl McCoy was charged with Class D Felony
- Suburban Indianapolis swim coach faces federal charges
- Federal charges filed against Lafayette man