LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)-- After months of complaints and police called to a home over 38 times this year, the owner is officially moving out. Vincent Schnarr was found dead inside a home on South 28th Street in Lafayette Tuesday afternoon, and his father has come forward to share the importance of mental health awareness.
Craig Schnarr says he knew his son needed help, but didn't know police found his son's body in a home with someone he knew.
"I've known Roger for as many years as I've been alive but I had no idea," said Schnarr. "No idea that the house you guys were talking about on the news was the house that Vinny was going and hanging out in."
The cause of death has yet to be determined but his father says he knows what happened before his son died.
"On his Facebook page, he put a picture of the Klonopin bottle in his hands and said "A good choice." So he knew what he was doing."
He says his son struggled with mental illness for over 20 years. In and out of hospitals and therapy, Craig said he was in the home on South 28th Street to help others.
"He knew it was a drug den, but he said, 'Roger lets me stay there every once in a while and I know I can talk those people out of it.'"
Tuesday afternoon when police responded to a 911 call, Vincent was found dead inside. Craig said he was only 34-years-old.
"Maybe some people think they aren't the best people, but they need help."
Homeowner Roger Johnson said he never expected his home to turn into this after opening his home up to those in need.
That's why he's moving out.
"I don't want them bringing drugs in or doing drugs here period," said Johnson. "I don't believe in the needle exchange program either. I'm totally against that."
The Tippecanoe County Coroner's Office has yet to release details on his death. Toxicology tests are being sent in this week due to a suspected drug overdose.
- Father speaks out after son is found dead in home on South 28th Street
- Man found dead inside home on South 28th Street in Lafayette
- South Street closure begins Monday
- Police: 2 women, man found dead in southwestern Indiana home
- 28th Purdue Jazz Festival showcases area high school students
- Business owners prepare for South Street closure
- Details released in upcoming South Street closure
- Portion of South Street to close Monday
- Woman dies after South Street crash
- SWAT Team called to 9th Street home