FLORA, Ind. (WLFI) — The father of three children killed in a Logansport house fire also died that same morning. Flora Police Chief Paul Redmon said Daniel Hite was found dead in Flora just hours after the fire.
Despite the proximity, investigators said they do not suspect Hite's involvement in the fire, but wouldn't elaborate.
Flora police were called to 819 Lincoln Drive around 4:15 a.m. Wednesday. That's about 25 miles southwest of where the fire happened. Hite was found dead inside the home. Police are unsure of the cause of death, but they do not believe it was a homicide or suicide at this time.
Redmon is calling it a "coincidence" that Hite and his children died on the same morning. Three-year-old Swayzee Hite, 1-year-old Rhylie Hite and 3-month-old Marshall Hite were all killed in the house fire.
The children's mother, 25-year-old Brandi Vail was also killed while staying with her step-father Joseph Huddleston. Huddleston and his 10- year- old daughter died in the fire. However, his wife Sheila and son Brandon were able to make it out alive.
- Father of children found dead in Logansport house fire dies the same morning
- Two children dead after early morning house fire in Logansport
- State police identify 6 bodies found in Logansport house fire
- First responders react to Logansport house fire
- Logansport taking charge of housing struggles
- Community reacts to fatal house fire in Logansport
- Logansport bridge set to close
- Family talks about the victims in Logansport fatal fire
- Cause of fatal fire in Logansport ruled ‘undetermined’
- Logansport fire department taking more calls from the community