INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities say a 24-year-old father has died while rescuing his 3-year-old daughter after their vehicle rolled into an Indianapolis retention pond.
The fire department says witnesses reported Anthony Burgess Jr. parked Sunday and got out to speak with a friend at a nearby apartment. When the girl tried to follow the department says Burgess told her to get back inside.
The department says the girl apparently hit the gear shift accidentally while climbing across the front seat.
The department says Burgess and his friend jumped into the water and Burgess got the girl out as the vehicle went underwater. A bystander pulled the girl to land and a diver got Burgess out of the water. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The girl was in critical but stable condition.
- Father dies rescuing his 3-year-old from vehicle in pond
- Passer-by rescues boy after SUV skids into Indianapolis pond
- 4-year-old Lebanon girl shot by 3-year-old brother dies
- Lafayette teen dies in single-vehicle crash
- 3-year-old accidentally shoots, wounds 2-year-old brother
- 2-year-old Indiana boy found inside hot vehicle dies
- Authorities: Bodies of 2 ice fishermen found at Indiana pond
- Hundreds of fish found dead at pond in southern Indiana
- Cleanup removes coal-combustion waste from Indiana pond
- Alligator captured after being spotted in N. Indiana pond