EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) — Aaron Falzon scored a career-high 21 points and matched one with six 3-pointers to lead Northwestern to a 73-66 victory over struggling Indiana on Tuesday night.
Falzon made 6 of 7 from beyond the arc. Dererk Pardon scored 17. Chris Collins became the third Northwestern coach with 100 wins, and the Wildcats (12-7, 3-5 Big Ten) hung on to hand the Hoosiers (12-7, 3-5) their fifth straight loss.
Juwan Morgan led Indiana with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Star freshman Romeo Langford scored 12 coming off a four-point outing against Purdue last week, and Indiana continued to stumble after winning 12 of their first 14 games.
The Hoosiers suspended Devonte Green for “not meeting the standards expected of members of the program” on Tuesday. He had been starting lately because Rob Phinisee was working his way back from concussion-like symptoms.
Falzon, who missed the first 10 games because of a lower-body injury, keyed a 15-4 run at the end of the first half, hitting three 3-pointers as Northwestern grabbed a 28-24 lead. He also had the fans chanting his name after scoring nine in about a two-minute span in the second as the Wildcats bumped the lead from 42-36 lead to 52-38.
It was 55-40 with about 12 minutes to go following a 3 by Ryan Taylor. Indiana then went on a 13-1 run, capped by Langford’s 3-point play on a fallaway jumper to cut it to 56-53.
A layup by Pardon and two free throws each by Anthony Gaines and Vic Law got the lead up to nine with 5:28 left.
Indiana: The Hoosiers struggled from the field, shooting 38.3 percent overall and 4 of 21 on 3-pointers.
Northwestern: Falzon had the right touch from the outside, and the Wildcats gave their postseason hopes a boost.
Indiana: Hosts No. 5 Michigan on Friday.
Northwestern: Visits Wisconsin on Saturday.
- Falzon scores 21, Northwestern beats Indiana 73-66
- Purdue softball beats Northwestern to take series
- Fire destroys businesses in northwestern Indiana plaza
- Northwestern Indiana state senator eyes governor's race
- Oladipo scores 21, Pacers hold on to beat Bucks 103-96
- McLaughlin delivers game-winner as Purdue beats Northwestern 61-58
- Purdue beats Northwestern 24-22 on Dellinger's late FG
- No. 2 Michigan stays unbeaten, beats No. 21 Indiana 74-63
- Langford scores 28, No. 21 Indiana defeats Illinois 73-65
- McDuffie scores 21 to lift Wichita St. over Indiana 73-63