WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Shades of 2009 have taken over the West Side. Shane Fry and the West Lafayette football program are headed into week one of 2018 ranked first in the state in class 3A.
George and Yanni Karlaftis headline a team full of talent on both sides of the ball, but Fry's squad brings in new personnel in key positions.
First, West Side basketball star Nelson Mbongo, a senior, will step onto the football field for the first time this year. In addition, junior Kyle Adams takes over the quarterback duties with the departure of Luke Touloukian, a transition that player and coach say has gone as planned throughout camp.
"We'll find out, the nice thing about Kyle is he has been in our system, since he's been in seventh grade," said Fry. "So has had the same calls, the same play calls, the same looks, has done the same thing on offense, for that many years."
"Coach Fry has been there since day one. He's helped me starting in the winter, we go over playbook, we review stuff and I'm constantly talking with him every day," said Adams. "It's really exciting to me. I am looking forward to it this season, big expectations overall goal is state, but it's been fun learning behind Luke and especially my freshman year behind Mikey Kidwell."
- Fall Camp Frenzy: West Lafayette tops state ranking in class 3A
- West Lafayette edges Evansville Memorial 47-42, to claim Class 3A state title
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- West Lafayette celebrates class of 2018
- Benton Central tops West Lafayette 44-39
- West Lafayette tops Crawfordsville on senior night
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Raymond Jones era begins at Clinton Prairie
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Carroll looks to build on 2017 season
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Seeger Patriots optimistic about next step
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Pioneer begins pursuit of second straight title