WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - West Lafayette based Endocyte is moving forward with its prostate cancer therapy.
"We solve problems with urgency because patient's lives depend on it," said CEO Mike Sherman.
It's been a busy six months for Sherman and biotech company Endocyte. In October of 2017, they acquired a late stage cancer therapy for $12 million.
"Since that time, the team has really been working hard to execute a number of initiatives," said Sherman. "That included primarily a discussion with the FDA and the design of a protocol that we would follow for that trial."
The therapy is an injected highly targeted radio therapy.
"The therapeutic is actually delivering a beta particle which once delivered eventually binds with the target on the tumor cell," said Sherman. "It will then emit that beta particle and kill the cancer cell."
The design of the trial is for 750 patients to receive the therapy.
"You tend to start in the more advanced disease," explained Sherman. "So, those patients tend to be sicker, they tend to have run out of options. What you hope for is extended survival and improved quality of life."
Sherman said the success of the trial is crucial for patients and also the company.
"The execution of a clinical trial, there's a lot of work that goes into that," said Sherman. "The difference between doing it well and not doing it well can mean years in the development effort."
Sherman says the trial is set to run until 2021. However, there is a possibility that could be shortened with early success.
- Endocyte making progress on prostate cancer therapy
- PAWS program shows progress
- House Speaker Brian Bosma: Tim Brown is making positive progress
- School bus stopping bill makes progress at statehouse
- LittleStar ABA Therapy Hosts 'Night Under the Stars' gala
- Therapy dog owner upset over pet policy at farmers market
- New WL city hall plans progressing
- THE JULY 5, 1921 PROGRESSIVE DERECHO
- Stem cell therapy for relapsing MS proves effective and safe, study finds
- Purdue fans "Hammer Down" cancer