LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A gas mainline is repaired and more than a dozen Lafayette residents are back in their homes after a gas leak in Lafayette.
It happened at the corner of Park Ave. and Kossuth after a driver drove their car into a telephone pole. Duke Energy electricians came out to replace the pole at around 2:15 p.m.
According to Lafayette Assistant Fire Chief Mike Hieatt, the company that maps out where electricians can dig mismarked the location of the gas mainline, causing electricians to accidentally drill a hole into it.
The hole was two to four inches deep, Assistant Fire Chief Hieatt said that's pretty substantial damage.
The City Bus picked up nearly 20 residents and took them to the bus station to stay warm while Duke Energy worked to repair the damage.