WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue's Carsen Edwards was named a preseason first-team All-American by the Associated Press, the organization announced Tuesday.
Edwards was the leading vote-getter on the six-person team (extra player because of a tie), appearing on 63 of 65 ballots. He was joined on the first team by North Carolina's Luke Maye, Duke's R.J. Barrett, Kansas' Dedric Lawson, Nevada's Caleb Martin and Wisconsin's Ethan Happ.
Edwards is Purdue's first preseason AP All-American since JaJuan Johnson in 2010-11. Maye was second in voting, appearing on 52 of 65 ballots.
Edwards, who was named the preseason National Player of the Year by Blue Ribbon Magazine and the Big Ten's preseason Player of the Year, earned the nod after an outstanding sophomore season, helping the Boilermakers to a 30-7 overall record and a spot in the Sweet 16 for the second consecutive season.
Edwards' 1,046 career points are the 12th most for an active player nationally through his sophomore season. His 686 points last year were the ninth most nationally for a freshman or sophomore and he was one of six underclassmen a year ago to have 650 points, 100 rebounds and 100 assists. He is the only player in Purdue history to have reached those marks in the same season.
Edwards, a 6-foot, 1-inch, 200-pound guard, was at his best late in the season, averaging 21.1 points per game in 13 games played after February 1. He tallied 40 points in a win over Illinois in late February and 30 against Texas Tech in the Sweet 16, while averaging 20.5 points per game in six postseason games. He scored in double-figures in 20 straight games to end the season, surpassing 20 points nine times.
Edwards and the Boilermakers open the regular season Nov. 6, when Fairfield visits Mackey Arena. Season tickets are available by calling the Purdue Athletics Ticket Office at 800.49SPORT or online at PurdueSports.com.
- Carsen Edwards headlines preseason AP All-America team
- Carsen Edwards named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
- Rondale Moore, Trevor Lawrence lead AP preseason All-America team
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named to all-region team (NCAA Tournament)
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards named NABC second-team All-American
- Carsen Edwards named a consensus second-team All-American
- Carsen Edwards receives All-American honors
- Carsen Edwards wins Jerry West Award
- Purdue's Carsen Edwards to enter NBA Draft
- Carsen Edwards works out for Pacers