WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A chance for the community to shop local is coming back just in time for spring and summer. Wednesday, May 2 is the first day of the West Lafayette Farmers Market.
The market is held in the parking lot of Cumberland Park off Salisbury Street. It will be open for the next six months from now until October. Every Wednesday, you can get your fresh produce and baked goods from 3:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
This year, close to 40 vendors have signed up to participate throughout the season. West Lafayette Director of Development Erik Carlson said a lot of the usual vendors will be returning this year.
"It's something that's good to really benefit people that are in the community, keep the money here locally and get to enjoy something you might not normally find," said Carlson.
Each week a different city department will be featured. It will be the sanitation department for the first farmers market.
On opening day Wednesday, vendors will be joined by West Lafayette D.A.R.E. and patrol officer Janet Winslow. She will have a booth along side the local vendors for the West Lafayette Police Department drug take back program.
She will be at the market for you to have a convenient way to dispose of your prescription and over the counter drugs. This is also a chance to learn about the potential for abuse of medications.
Winslow said she started the drug take back program in 2010. Since then, she has collected 21,000 pounds of prescription and over the counter drugs.
"Do not flush them," said Winslow. "Do not throw them in the trash because if you do that they will eventually get into our ground water."
Winslow has the drugs incinerated at a company in Indianapolis. If you miss today's drug take back you can drop it off at the West Lafayette Police department on second Thursday of every month. It's open from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Drug take back happening opening day of West Lafayette farmers market
- West Lafayette holding Farmers Market indoors this winter
- Lafayette Farmer's Market prepares shoppers for Thanksgiving
- Lafayette farmer's market kicks off the summer
- Farmers market held in downtown Lafayette
- Lafayette Farmer's Market reopens for one day on Saturday
- West Lafayette silent bike auction happening Saturday
- Sobriety checkpoints happening in West Lafayette
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette welcomes back refurbished fire truck