WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Veterans Day is Sunday and the Lafayette Gold Star Mothers need help raising more than $28,000 to honor these heroes in West Lafayette.
The Lafayette Gold Star Mothers are getting prepared for the 6th annual Wreaths Across America. The mothers raise money to buy wreaths for the more than 2,800 headstones inside the Indiana Veterans Home.
For the past three years the Lafayette Gold Star Mothers have been able to cover the entire cemetery. This is all thanks to members of the community who sponsor a wreath. There was a time when they didn't raise enough money to do so.
"I don't want that to ever happen again," Lafayette Gold Star Mother Dana Vann said. "It was pretty sad when the last wreath was placed and you look at the next headstone and that person didn't receive one. So, we've been fortunate the last three years that hasn't happened."
You can donate in honor of someone who is currently serving or because of veterans day this weekend. Placing the wreaths on one of the headstones in the cemetery recognizes that the veteran is not forgotten.
"It's said that a person dies twice in their lifetime," Vann said. "They die once when they stop breathing and they die for a second time when no one says their name again and we don't go out their just to decorate the cemetery, we go out to remember people and remember their lives."
One wreath costs $15, but if you sponsor two for $30 the mothers get a third wreath for free. This is if you order the wreaths through the Lafayette Gold Star Mothers website. The money is due by December 1st.
You can also mail your donation into Vann.
745 Wexford Dr.
Lafayette, IN 47905
The mothers also need help placing the wreaths on the headstones on Saturday, December 15th. The ceremony starts at noon.
- Donations needed for the 6th annual Wreaths Across American
- Hanna Center presents 6th annual backpack giveaway
- 6th annual Bacon Fest held in Delphi
- Donations being collected to honor veterans for Wreaths Across America
- American Red Cross in need of blood donations
- Food Finders is preparing for 6th Annual Blue Jean Ball
- Wreaths Across America in West Lafayette
- 6th annual Recycle Saturday deemed a success despite poor weather conditions
- Wreaths Across America calls on community for help
- Arson suspected in 6th Street apartment fire