WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — We are less than a week away from Veterans Day, and the Lafayette Gold Star Mothers has an opportunity for you to help honor our local veterans.
During the holidays, the Indiana Veterans Home Cemetery transforms. Each headstone at the cemetery gets decorated with a wreath. In order for that to continue, Wreaths Across America needs your donations.
There are more than 2,800 headstones that need to be covered. Each wreath is usually sponsored by someone or an organization.
The wreaths are $15 each through the Lafayette Gold Star Mothers. If you sponsor two wreaths, a third one is provided for free.
Gold Star Mother Dana Vann knows just how important each wreath is.
"You know, we don't come out here to decorate graves," Vann said. "We come out here to lay a remembrance wreath and remember that person who is buried here. So, it's more than decoration — it's a sign of remembrance for that veteran.
Donations to sponsor wreaths are being collected until the weekend of Thanksgiving.
"If you drive out here [during] Christmas time just to look at all those wreaths and know everyone was sponsored by a family or a group in our town, it's just a patriotic feeling to see that many people respect our veterans," Vann said.
National Wreaths Across America Day takes place Saturday, Dec. 16. On that day, there will be a ceremony held at MacArthur Hall at noon. It will be followed by everyone going out to the cemetery to lay the wreaths.
Volunteers are needed to help out.
- Donations being collected to honor veterans for Wreaths Across America
- Wreaths Across America event held at the Indiana Veterans Home
- Wreaths Across America in West Lafayette
- Wreaths Across America calls on community for help
- Donations needed for the 6th annual Wreaths Across American
- Community remembers fallen soldiers and vets at "Wreaths Across America" ceremony
- Getting ready for seventh annual Wreaths Across America event at IVH
- Atkinson, Mohler earn All-America honors
- Calvary Chapel is Collecting Coats for Homeless Veterans
- Donations are being collected to help Children in Haiti