WARREN COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A morning fire has left an apartment destroyed and a pet dead in Pine Village.
Firefighters were called to Church Street Tuesday by the apartment owner. One of the tenants had called in reporting smoke from the neighboring apartment.
While there were no visible flames, officials said there was heavy smoke damage. Firefighters believe it was caused by a gas stove.
No injuries were reported, but tenant's dog was killed. Apartment owner Matt Akers said he's fairly certain it started from the stove.
"It looks like it came from there," said Akers. "The renter said he hadn't cooked on it for a while. Having the dog, they could've bumped a knob or done something. They don't really know at this time."
Akers said he'll have to completely restore the whole apartment. However, he's thankful for the efforts of the fire department and that the other apartments weren't touched.