DELPHI, Ind. (WLFI) — Change is coming for Delphi athletics.
Delphi athletic director Kevin Sims announced the school will join the Hoosier Heartland Conference beginning in 2019.
“Our administration, athletic department, coaching staffs and the community are thrilled to have the opportunity to join the Hoosier Heartland Conference,” Sims said. “It was the place where we wanted to be.”
The move is still pending approval from the Delphi Community School Corporation Board of Trustees which is expected to be finalized at its scheduled March 12 meeting.
Delphi made inquiries about joining the Hoosier Heartland Conference over the past couple of years, but an opening wasn’t available until conference members Frontier, North White and Tri-County decided to join the new version of the old Midwest Conference.
The new Hoosier Heartland Conference as currently comprised will consist of nine teams, including Carroll, Clinton Central, Clinton Prairie, Eastern, Rossville, Sheridan, Taylor and Tri-Central. Rossville does not participate in football.
"It was really important for us to join a conference where we had some natural rivalries,” Sims said. “We have that with Carroll and Rossville, and both Clinton Central and Clinton Prairie have been on our schedules for many years. It just makes a lot of sense for us, and is a great place for us to be — where we wanted to be."
The Oracles have participated in their sporting events as an independent since departing the Hoosier Conference after the 2014-15 school year.
- Delphi to join Hoosier Heartland Conference
- Hoosier Heartland crash victim dies
- Wrong way drunk driver arrested on Hoosier Heartland
- Hoosiers celebrate Sunday alcohol sales
- Recognizing how Alzheimer's impacts Hoosiers
- Instant Classic: CC baseball wins Hoosier Conference title in 11-inning thriller
- ISP holds news conference 2 years after the Delphi double homicide
- Delphi homicide investigation moves back to Delphi City Hall
- Hoosier National Forest wants to decommission roadways
- Lafayette teacher receives Distinguished Hoosier Award