DELPHI, Ind. (WLFI) — Delphi Community School Board members are looking for ways to bring art classes back to the middle and elementary schools. The topic was discussed at Monday night's meeting.
No one at the meeting disagreed having art in schools is important. Board members said they are willing to try and come up with funding for the program through grants or maybe consider hiring a part-time position.
There is just more of a logistical issue when it comes to scheduling and cooperation between the schools.
Back in June News 18 shared one Carroll County parent's concerns about the district not offering traditional art. The community had the chance to voice those concerns to the board.
Administrators said they want a cooperative K-12 art program, not separate elementary, middle and high school programs.
Currently, only the high school offers traditional art classes. Elementary Principal Bill Shidler said he wants parents to realize art is still happening in the middle and elementary schools, it just may look different than what they'd expect.
"1975 I would take my art home on a piece of paper a lot of this is visual it's on the computer, it's online it's on a computer itself that stays at the school so we can do a better job of showcasing the great things our kids are doing," said Shidler.
The elementary school added a class called integration technology this year. No word on when the schools could see what people consider "traditional art classes" come back to the curriculum.
However, board members said they are taking all comments made tonight into consideration. We will continue to follow the progress.
- Delphi community school board working to bring art back to curriculum
- Candlelight vigil brings the Delphi community close
- Delphi mom pushes for art education in schools
- New cyber security curriculum in the works for students
- Tippecanoe Arts Federation working to bring more color to the community
- Delphi homicide investigation moves back to Delphi City Hall
- LGBTQ history curriculum will now be taught in Illinois schools
- Delphi Community School Corporation completes solar energy project
- Solar panels put money back into Delphi schools
- Delphi opens a new community center