LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — This holiday season brings a special gift for Franciscan Health's tiniest patients.
For the entire month of December new-born babies are gifted a stocking made with love. A group of women in Crawfordsville comes together every season to sew these stockings for each infant. This year they donated about 85.
The hospital has been dressing newborn babies in these stockings for several decades. And they often have left-over stockings each year. Hospital leaders say at least 150 babies have gone home with this gift this month.
The Spitznagle family said it's an extra special surprise.
“It's an awesome surprise, you know, she came two weeks early so we weren't expecting to be here over the holidays but being able to come in and get the best Christmas present we can early and have a cute little stocking as a keepsake is definitely special to us,” said new mother, Abbie Spitznagle.
The new parents are excited to be a part of carrying on the hospital’s tradition.
“I'm kind of one of those that love keepsakes, I think it'll be special to keep and pass on to her as she gets older and has her own traditions,” said Spitznagle. “I think we're just looking forward to getting home, starting our new life as a family of three, and our new traditions.”
These stockings are only meant for photos and memorabilia. Nurses say it can be a safe sleep issue if the stockings are used outside of its purpose.
- December babies get a special gift at Franciscan Health Hospital
- Franciscan Health celebrates their first baby of 2018
- Franciscan Health Lafayette rated five star hospital facility
- HIGHLIGHTS/BRACKETS: Franciscan Health Hoops Classic
- Franciscan Health Lafayette East's campus expanding
- Franciscan Health holds discussion about suicide prevention
- Franciscan Health Lafayette unveils new rehabilitation gym
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Franciscan Health hosts Safe Kids Day
- New security measures for Franciscan Health East