Deadly Frankfort house fire started in infant's room, ruled accidental

There were no active smoke detectors in the home. However, one was found in a box.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 11:59 AM
Updated: Dec 3, 2019 3:26 PM

FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) — The cause of a deadly Frankfort house fire has been ruled accidental, according to fire investigator Jeremy Ward. He also determined the fire started in the room where the infant who died was in. 

Chief John Kirby said the cause of the fire was a space heater located in the room. He said it is unclear how the heater caught fire.

Kirby said there were no active smoke detectors in the home. However, he said one was found in a box.

Firefighters were called to the home about 10:10 a.m. Monday morning in the 1300 block of West Jefferson Street. Kirby said a father and three other kids were able to get out of the home. An 8-month-old boy was found dead inside.

Frankfort’s Faith Family Church is assisting the Mills family with temporary housing. Anyone who wishes to help the family can contact the church at (765) 659-3011.

Article Comments

West Lafayette
Broken Clouds
70° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 70°
67° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 67°
Broken Clouds
64° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 64°
Broken Clouds
64° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 64°
69° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 69°
65° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 60°
Feels Like: 65°
Scattered Clouds
68° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 68°
63° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 63°
63° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 63°
64° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 64°
Storm Chances Return Tuesday Night
WLFI Radar
WLFI Temps
WLFI Planner

COVID-19 Important links and resources

As the spread of COVID-19, or as it's more commonly known as the coronavirus continues, this page will serve as your one-stop for the resources you need to stay informed and to keep you and your family safe. CLICK HERE

Closings related to the prevention of the COVID-19 can be found on our Closings page.

Community Events