DAYTON, Ind. (WLFI) — Dayton Elementary School had its first day of school with its new principal.
He took News 18 on a tour and showed us the life of a new principal.
Ryan Simmons said he is still getting used to the faces that will eventually become familiar to him.
"I mean the first question you always get is, 'are you the new principal?'" said Simmons. "Yes, I'm obviously the new principal."
The new principal is taking his job in stride.
"My philosophy is being visible," said the former teacher. "So, you'll never find me sitting in my office, you know, with the door shut just doing nothing. My goal is to be in the classrooms as much as possible."
That's exactly what Simmons did Tuesday. The IU graduate has experience as the principal for a school in Union County. He comes from a long line of educators, and teachers want him to embrace the school as much as they do.
"Here at Dayton, we have so many good things already rolling and going," said second and third-grade teacher Sarah Emerson. "I would love for someone to come in and just keep the enthusiasm and foster the creativity and let us keep rolling on the right track."
"I feel very blessed to have landed in a place with a phenomenal staff and my goal is to keep staff morale high," said Simmons.
That morale was evident throughout the whole day.
Simmons said the key to the job becoming a role model the students.
"You have to be here for children every day," said Simmons "I told the teachers at our teacher meeting on Friday that I will always be in support of you as long as you have the child's best interests in mind, and I feel like every day I walk into this building it's always what can I do to help this child have a better life? What can I do the enhance this child's instruction?"
Simmons said he is excited to work with the community that welcomed him with open arms and he has a message for them.
"It's just been overwhelming the support that I received," said Simmons "The phone calls, the messages and I probably had thirty to forty people walk in the weeks of summer while I was working and come introduce themselves and welcome me to the community. I feel like Dayton is in a great place. I am really excited because it does have this community feel.
Principal Simmons said he is still trying to learn the names of his staff and students.
He said he'll hopefully have them memorized in the next 179 days.
- Dayton Elementary principal takes us through his first day of school
- Dayton Elementary closes early Monday
- Dayton Elementary Opens New Makerspace Lab
- Dayton Elementary School students give teacher the gift of color
- New Assistant Principal at Wea Ridge Elementary
- New assistant principal coming to Hershey Elementary
- School board votes not to renew Carroll Elementary Principal's contract
- Purdue Rube Goldberg national champions visit Dayton Elementary
- Wyandotte Elementary celebrates 100th day of school
- Elementary school principal placed on leave after banning all things Christmas from classrooms