SALEM, Ind. (AP) — Indiana police say a 6-year-old girl was shot in the head and killed when the handgun her father was cleaning accidentally fired in southern Indiana.
Indiana State Police say Makayla S. Bowling was pronounced dead at a hospital after the shooting in rural Salem Friday night.
Police say her father was cleaning the gun inside a home Friday night and thought the weapon was unloaded, but it discharged, striking the girl in the head. The father's name hasn't been released.
Police say detectives don't believe foul play was involved. The shooting remains under investigation.
- Dad cleaning gun fatally shoots 6-year-old girl in the head
- Indianapolis police arrest 2 in fatal shooting of girl, 1
- Silver Alert canceled for Vermillion County 6-year-old
- Investigation into fatal shooting leads to arrest
- Authorities: Man fatally shot by friend playing with gun
- Woman sentenced for fatal shooting at Fort Wayne motel
- Muncie police: Fatal shooting of man, 84, was an accident
- LPD looking for man wanted in connection to fatal shooting
- No charges after officer fatally shoots knife-wielding man
- Teen gets 64 years for fatal shooting of Indiana woman