LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — When most people think back on their education, they can probably remember a teacher who changed their life or taught them something they will never forget.
That's certainly true for Tippecanoe County Commissioner Tom Murtaugh, it recently led him to a big decision.
Back in October, Murtaugh began the process to give his kidney to former Lafayette Jeff Football Coach Dave Knott. Murtaugh was in Knott's geometry and economics classes at Jeff High School nearly forty years ago.
Murtaugh said he never thought about organ donation before, that was until he saw a call out message from one of Knott's daughters on Facebook hoping it would lead to a donor for her dad.
Murtaugh said he felt compelled to answer that call.
"It almost seemed to be fate and I saw the post and it just kind of struck me and for the next couple of days I just thought about it," said Murtaugh.
It's been nearly 40 years since Knott and Murtaugh shared a classroom. The two agreed they really haven't kept in touch but certain things have kept them connected.
"He's a Wabash grad and I'm a Wabash grad," said Murtaugh. "I've seen him over the years at the YMCA, we both go there almost daily and we'd pass each other and say hello," added Knott.
Those connections that seemed small at the time, will now make a world of difference. The transplant is set for March 28.
"There aren't words to describe how thankful I am that Tom is willing to do this for me because it's going to change my life," said Knott.
Murtaugh hopes his decision will inspire others to consider becoming a donor. To learn more about how you can help click here.
- Donating a kidney: an easy choice for Tom Murtaugh
- Murtaugh home recovering following kidney operation
- Franciscan nurse donates kidney
- Woman awaiting kidney transplant shares importance of organ donation
- Dog with failing kidneys receives miracle donation from one of her puppies
- First ever drone delivery of a donated kidney ends with successful transplant
- Pacers take easy path to get past fatigued Phoenix 116-101
- Melania Trump in hospital for treatment of kidney condition
- Purdue keeping QB choice under wraps before Northwestern
- Tom Cruise soars in 'Top Gun: Maverick' trailer