PLYMOUTH, Ind. (AP) — A coroner says a man died of cardiac arrest after being struck by lightning while boating on a northern Indiana lake.
Marshall County Coroner John Grolich says 65-year-old Richard Eberhardt and a friend were trying to reach shore at Lake of the Woods after a strong storm blew in Saturday, causing several lightning strikes in the area. Lightning struck hit Eberhardt before their pontoon could make it to shore.
Grolich says CPR was started immediately and emergency responders were dispatched, but Eberhardt was pronounced dead at the scene.
Eberhardt's friend was not injured.
- Coroner: Man dies after lightning strike on Indiana lake
- Coroner: Man pulled from Lake Shafer died accidentally
- Coroner: Skeletal remains are those of missing Indiana man
- Police: 4-year-old dies after being pulled from Indiana lake
- Coroner ID's Indiana boy killed in school bus crash
- Indiana coroners expected to get new means to ID bodies
- Central Indiana city's parks now have lightning detectors
- Man dies after large wave sweeps him into Lake Michigan
- West Lafayette man dies in Lake County crash
- Private consultant finds body of man missing in Indiana lake