LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette Transitional Housing and the Lafayette Urban Ministry are teaming up this winter. Their goal is to provide a warm place to stay for people in need.
Lafayette Urban Ministry opened its warming station on November 15th. It will remain open until April 15th. The warming station opens at midnight each night and will close at 7 o'clock each morning.
LUM suggests going to its homeless shelter for extended hours. Lafayette Transitional Housing provides shelter from 7:30 a.m to 6 p.m. each day. Community member Amanda Teeguarden says it's important to take advantage of these warming stations..
"Yes, to all the other homeless if you have it in you, please come to the Howarth Center," said Teeguarden. "That's all we do is help. They will help get you anything you need. Clothes, jackets, gloves, scarves, they will help you keep warm, blankets. They do a good deed for everybody, they really do."
Brandi Bogard said these centers have brought her closer to people she would not have had a chance to meet otherwise.
"It's become a lot more important to me because I don't want to freeze to death and it's the only place I can come to get warm. I have no family no nothing over here, this is the only place I got, this is the only family I got is my homeless center," she said.
LUM says its doors are open for anyone in need of a warm place to stay during the overnight hours. It anticipates seeing around 10 people at its warming shelter this evening and about 35 people at the homeless shelter.
Warming Station Addresses:
Lafayette Transitional Housing — 615 N. 18th St.
Lafayette Urban Ministry — 420 N. Fourth St.
Lafayette Urban Ministry Emergency Shelter — 525 N. Fourth St.
- Community organizations provide warmth for those in need
- Warmth with Winds
- Waiting for the Warmth
- Near/Record Warmth Then Frost/Freezing
- Purdue partners with LTHC to provide food to community
- Warmth On The Way (yes, you read that right!)
- Near Record Warmth, But Rainfall & Much Cooler Weather Ahead
- Greater Lafayette newcomers event matched local organizations with new community members
- Several Community Centers to provide childcare for LSC and TSC families on Nov 19
- October 7, 11:45 AM Upddate: Near/Record Warmth & the Big Change Ahead