WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - In response to offensive banners posted at the Unitarian Universalist Church over the weekend the church will be hosting an Affirmation of Freedom meeting. The event will be held Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church in West Lafayette.
There will be a discussion about what happened this weekend as well as songs led by the Blue Moon Rising Community Choir.
West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis will lead the keynote address. He says this is a healing event.
"There's a lot of people that make the assumption that if you draw attention to these idiots that it's going to proliferate more similar acts. I disagree. I think we need to say not only no, but hell no. Not in my city, not in my town. You're not going to offend the folks that I serve and I'm going to do everything within the power of my office to make sure that that doesn't happen." said Mayor Dennis.
The event comes after several profane banners were posted at the church over the weekend.
- Community will gather to heal after offensive banners found on church
- Neighbors respond to offensive banners at church
- Hundreds gather in solidarity in response to offensive banners
- Police investigating profane banners found outside WL church
- Community gathers for resistance fair
- Community gathers for interfaith panel discussion
- Purdue community gathers to celebrate Hanukkah
- Bethlehem Holy Healing Temple hosts 9th annual Community Easter Giveaway
- New banners for Veterans Memorial Parkway unveiled
- Local church holds a community prayer walk