WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Now until the end of August, donations are being collected to help sponsor a free luncheon for Vietnam veterans and their guests this September. The goal is to make sure these veterans and their guests do not have to spend a penny to attend.
Purdue employees are volunteering to host the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War commemoration luncheon. During the luncheon there will be a keynote speaker.
"And then just an opportunity for these people to get together and talk about some of the things that they experienced," said luncheon Chair David Burford. "Maybe, reconnect with old friends and things like that."
It's open to Purdue Alumni and people in surrounding Greater Lafayette communities. Support is needed from companies and people in the area to help raise money.
Now until the end of August, volunteers are collecting donations for this event. The goal is to raise around $12,000 dollars to provide meals for close to 400 people. If volunteers raise more than their goal, the money is being used to support future Vietnam commemorative events.
Burford said it's time to recognize the veterans for the sacrifices they made.
"A lot of people came home and took their uniforms and threw them in the trash immediately," said Burford. "They were embarrassed by the publicity, the negative publicity from that war."
Volunteers will have a booth set up at the Lafayette Aviators game on Monday, July 23. to collect donations. They will also be at the Purdue Farmers Markets on Thursdays from now until Aug. 29.
The luncheon is on Friday, Sept 14. from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Lafayette National Guard Armory. You and your guest must register for the event here.
- Donations needed to host free luncheon for Vietnam veterans
- 50th Anniversary 'Welcome Home' luncheon held for Vietnam-Era veterans
- Veterans appreciation luncheon happening Saturday
- Greater Lafayette Commerce hosts construction update luncheon
- Vietnam veterans honored with special ceremony
- American Legion welcomes home Vietnam Veterans
- Veterans and families honored with luncheon in Lafayette
- United Way hosts luncheon to honor local volunteers
- Purdue University honors Vietnam veterans for Memorial Day Service this year
- Donations being collected to honor veterans for Wreaths Across America