WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A group of cancer survivors in our community is gearing up for the fourth annual Community Cancer Network Gala. It's an event focused on raising funds for cancer patients.
Specifically, the money raised goes towards items not traditionally covered by insurance. That may include gas to get to appointments, groceries and rent.
Theresa Kix is the event organizer and one of three staff members on the Purdue Women's Basketball team who has battled cancer. She says this is an event that has provided so much to survivors.
"If you don't have hope, if you don't have faith and if you don't have love, it's very difficult to battle cancer," said Kix. "We are trying to provide all those with an event like this."
Coach Kix is now fully cured of her stomach cancer!
Last year, this event raised $140,000 for cancer patients in Tippecanoe and surrounding counties. The "Hope on the Horizon Gala" is Saturday Oct. 6 in the Purdue Memorial Union Ballrooms.
Larry Clisby, the voice of Purdue Basketball and former WLFI sports anchor, will be honored. He is currently battling his stage 4 lung and brain cancer.
You can buy tickets here.
- Community Cancer Network gears up for fourth annual gala
- City of Lafayette gears up for annual Christmas parade
- New broadband network to help first responders
- LittleStar ABA Therapy Hosts 'Night Under the Stars' gala
- Purdue ranks fourth in international student enrollment
- 20th Annual Bravo for the Arts banquet focuses on community
- Ivy Tech Community College to host annual career fair
- Bethlehem Holy Healing Temple hosts 9th annual Community Easter Giveaway
- Multicounty data-sharing network to improve farming, manufacturing
- Indiana health network pays about $55,000 ransom to hackers