CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A 3-0 vote Monday morning will keep a moratorium in place. First placed in 2017, it bans wind farms from being built in Clinton County.
"I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are frustrated and disappointed, but at the end of the day we felt like this was the best decision for our county," said Clinton County Commissioner Joshua Uitts.
Uitts said the moratorium became a topic of discussion after residents showed mixed support toward plans for a new wind farm.
"Without a doubt in my 44 years, this is the most divisive thing I've ever seen in our county,” said Uittis.
As WLFI first reported, developers from E.On Energy presented these plans at an open house last week.
It discussed constructing 35 to 52 turbines in eastern Clinton County. The plan included an economic study stating why the county needs such a farm.
But members of Responsible Harvest of Clinton County like Andy Robertson found some information misleading.
"What we found was that a lot of the information was skewed, partial and not as accurate. We began asking a lot of questions,” Robertson.
The group works to educate residents about wind farms.
According to E.On, the wind farm would be a $250 million investment into the county.
But Uitts said the county is better off without the farm.
"There's plenty of development going on here that would far exceed what any type of wind farm would mean for Clinton County. So we very comfortable moving forward with keeping the moratorium in place,” said Uittis.