CLINTON CO., Ins. (WLFI) — Some drivers in Clinton County want to see change at an intersection before tragedy strikes.
"You know those flowers that they put at the side of the road when someone dies?" asked Clinton County resident Lou Wozniak. "We ought to put some of those here now to get ready for it."
Wozniak said the intersection of County Roads 950 West and 400 North, near Mulberry, is one distracted driver away from tragedy.
"It's scary feeling," Wozniak explained. "You pull forward into a normal stopping point, and you can't see at all. You have to pull, what feels like, literally into the intersection before you can see clearly."
This lack of visibility can put drivers in a dangerous situation.
It's something Brooke Michal knows all too well.
"There was snow, and I pulled up to the stop sign, got stuck, had to back up, come back forward and then had to like zoom because there was a car there already because I couldn't see," she said.
Now Michal is working to make it safer. The 21-year-old made a petition to change the intersection from a two-way stop into a four-way stop.
In just over a week, she has more than 120 signatures to hand over to county commissioners.
"Just something to make people realize that this intersection isn't safe, and something needs to be done about it," Michal added.
County commissioners will look at crash statistics before making a decision.
Even though there's only been one crash there in the last two years, Michal thinks it's time to take action now.
"There shouldn't have to be a bunch of fatalities or a bunch of crashes for there to be something," said Michal. "I feel like it should be something we prevent."
With a daughter driving through the intersection almost daily, Wozniak fears the worst if nothing is done.
"Someone is coming flying down here, not paying attention and hits her," said Wozniak. "That's my worst fear."
The next step is to take the petitions to county commissioners. The County Highway Superintendent Kevin Myers said an engineering study is needed before the additional stop signs are installed.
- Clinton Co. residents petition for change at dangerous intersection
- Purdue students petition to cancel classes Wednesday
- Carroll Co. sheriff tries to stop J-turn installation at dangerous intersection
- Man speaks out after being hit by car at "dangerous intersection"
- US 52 intersections set to close Friday
- INDOT plans to improve fatal crash intersection
- Body found in Clinton County
- Carroll County intersection sees 20 crashes in 2 years
- Police hand out dozens of warnings at WL intersection
- Sesame Street becomes a real intersection in New York City