WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Ryan Cline scored 23 points and the Purdue defense forced 21 turnovers in rolling past Marian University in an exhibition game at Mackey Arena 75-56.
The win improved Purdue to 25-0 in exhibition games under 14th-year head coach Matt Painter. The 19-point victory was Purdue's seventh straight by at least 19 points in exhibition action.
This one, however, was a little more difficult than most. The Knights, ranked eighth in the country in NAIA while boasting Division I transfers up and down the lineup, hung with the Boilermakers for most of the first half, using an 8-0 run to cut Purdue's lead to 25-24 with 1:39 to play.
But the Boilermakers ended the half on a flurry, outscoring the Knights over the last 1:24 to take a 32-24 halftime lead.
After trading 3-pointers early in the second half, the Boilermakers went on a 13-0 run over four-plus minutes for a 50-31 lead with 14:02 to play. Cline sparked the run with three straight triples to end the run to break the game wide open. Purdue would push the lead to 26 at 61-35 on an Aaron Wheeler dunk with 9:19 to play, before coasting in for the final 19-point margin.
Cline led the Boilermaker surge in second half, scoring 15 of his game-high 23 points, including five of his seven 3-pointers. Cline also added five assists against zero turnovers in 28 minutes of action.
Matt Haarms tallied 12 points with five rebounds and Evan Boudreaux and Trevion Williams combined for 18 points and nine rebounds in 27 minutes between them.
The Boilermakers went 29 of 70 from the field (.414), 7 of 30 from 3-point range (.233) and 10 of 13 (.769) from the free throw line. Purdue had just seven turnovers and outrebounded the Knights 37-34. Purdue had 14 offensive rebounds which resulted in 24 second-chance points.
Purdue opens its 121st season of play Tuesday, Nov. 6, against Fairfield at 7 p.m. ET, at Mackey Arena. Tickets are still available at 800.49SPORT or online at PurdueSports.com.
- Cline, Purdue roll past Marian in exhibition game 75-56
- Purdue basketball to host Marian in exhibition game
- Ryan Cline helps No. 24 Purdue rout Robert Morris 84-46
- Mishawaka Marian's Jaden Ivey commits to Purdue
- No. 20 Purdue rolls past Carroll College 98-71
- Chiefs roll past Colts 31-13 to reach AFC title game
- Purdue rolls over Illinois 46-7
- McLaughlin, Purdue rout Ashland in exhibition
- Ryan Cline's promise: From Carmel to West Lafayette
- Purdue history exhibit helps celebrate university's 150th birthday