LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- A Lafayette couple is feeling relief, among other things, after being reunited with a ring they lost 48 years ago.
Judy Hanks gave her class ring to her husband, Bill, when they were dating. Bill was working as an EMT at the time and lost the ring while on a medical run.
Dawn Copas's husband found the ring in a couch when he and a friend were moving in 1969. Copas kept the ring and began seeking out the owner, taking it to several class reunions.
A friend of hers posted on Facebook about Copas’s possession of the ring and Judy responded, connecting the two and organizing the reunion.
Judy said she is happy to finally have it back.
“I am just so thankful.” Judy said. “There are not enough words to thank Dawn for what she's done.”
Bill also expressed gratitude in the solving of the 48 year old mystery.
“Due to Dawn, now after 48 years, I think I'm going to be out of the dog house.” Joked Bill.
Copas said she never gave up hope in finding the owner of the ring, and how social media played a huge role in the reunion.
“There is always hope, and social media really does a good job of spreading the word, good or bad.” Copas said. “Everybody likes a feel good story, and I truly think this is a feel good story.”
Judy herself is hoping to connect someone with a lost ring. She says she found about 10 years ago at Purdue.
She doesn't know who it belongs to, but she wants to make sure they get it back. It's a grandmother's ring with 4 stones in it.
If you're missing a ring that fits that description - it could be the one.
- Class ring lost for 48 years is reunited with owner
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 48, Attica 37 (GBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 79, Attica 48 (BBB)
- A homeless man was reunited with his lost dog and the video is a real tearjerker
- CoderDojo Kickoff rings in three years of success
- HIGHLIGHTS: Benton Central 76, North White 48 (BBB)
- Authorities: 48 guns, drugs found in Indiana man's home
- Police uncover spice ring in Tippecanoe County
- Local Law Enforcement Using Neighborhood Ring App