TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI)-- This summer, CityBus and Food Finders are teaming up with a new project to help feed children.
The program will deliver food to hungry children and their families right at their door.
After receiving a grant through Enterprise Rent-a-Car Foundation, Food Finders Chief Operating Officer Kier Crites said this idea has been in the works but is finally coming to life.
"We had the bright idea through previous conversations to partner with CityBus this year," Crites said. "They are providing the bus and some staff and we're providing interns and the produce."
Development Manager Bryce Gibson said this is a perfect combination of resources.
"We find that many of our clients are overlapping," Gibson said. "People who use CityBus also depend on Food Finders so we thought this was a really natural partnership that would work really well."
CityBus drivers will pick up 1,000 pounds of fresh produce and deliver the food to apartment complexes, community centers, and elementary schools.
"All the locations except for one are located on bus lines so it's a good opportunity for us to interface with these people," Gibson said.
Along with the food bank's already implemented summer meal program, Crites said this is an added bonus.
"It's even more food that we are able to distribute to families that are looking for extra resources this summer."
The program will rotate between ten different locations across Tippecanoe County and is free and open to anyone. The program will deliver food every day during the week from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The list of locations can be found here.
- CityBus kicks off summer food drop to help feed children
- CityBus launches new customizable app
- CityBus asking for feedback on new routes
- CityBus launches new "Ride to Work" program
- Food Finders Food Bank to cut senior feeding program
- Lafayette farmer's market kicks off the summer
- Tippecanoe Co. Right to Life files lawsuit against CityBus
- CityBus took its final advice from the community
- Food Finders kicks off 8th annual Food Drive.
- Summer food program offers door-to-door delivery service for children