WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — It's starting to look a lot like Christmas at the Purdue Memorial Union. Crews dragged in a 30-foot-tall-by-15-foot-wide spruce tree. The Purdue Christmas tree is up and was lit on Tuesday. It was decorated by the Purdue Student Union Board.
"Sometimes that is a heave and heave and heave to bring it in as sometimes it's a little wider than the door itself," said Vice President of Student life Beth McCuskey. "It's fun to watch it going up and then PSUB works super hard to get it decorated in time for the lighting ceremony."
McCuskey lit the Christmas Tree in a ceremony Tuesday morning. Local music groups and students performed around the tree Tuesday and you can catch the performances from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Wednesday.
There is a "guess the lights" contest that will start Dec. 5 and wrap up on Dec. 18. Visitors can try their best to guess how many lights cover the tree this year. The top three people will receive gifts from local businesses.
The Greater Lafayette community is invited to come out and take in the display. This is also a good time for students to take a break from their studies.
"It's a busy time for students winding down the semester, finishing up their projects, getting ready for finals," said McCuskey. "Having a little break to just enjoy this beautiful magic of the holiday season is pretty special."
Tim and Angela Philips of Lafayette donated the tree. Student Union Board members thought it was ironic that this tree, that was planted by a World War II veteran, ended up in the Union.
"We found out the history of the tree after the fact. So it was kind of neat to have that connection but we didn't know that connection beforehand," said Angelica McLean, the Program Advisor for Purdue Student Union Board.
The last day to check out the fully decorated tree is Monday, Dec. 17. After that date, the tree will be repurposed on campus.
- Purdue Memorial Union Christmas tree lighting ceremony
- Christmas tree lighting ceremony at Purdue Memorial Union
- 2018 Purdue Memorial Union Christmas Tree Delivered
- Purdue Union Christmas tree comes down early
- Purdue Christmas tree arrives at Grand Hall
- Purdue is buying former church across from Purdue Memorial Union
- Purdue Memorial Union gears up for the holidays
- Shortage of Christmas trees nationwide
- Noon Optimist Club Christmas tree sales
- Unique Vincennes Christmas tree gets varied reactions