TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A police chase through Carroll, White and Tippecanoe Counties has ended after a 15-year-old boy swerved to avoid a crossing train, Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley confirms.
Carroll County dispatch called in the chase of a maroon Chevy Silverado pickup Monday morning around 9 a.m., according to Riley. He also said the vehicle did not have any plates.
Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said around 6:40 a.m., the suspect stole his great aunt's vehicle from her home on 100 North in Tippecanoe County. He then headed toward his mother's home in Carroll County near Lake Freeman.
Leazenby said the suspect stole firearms and a car when he got there. Deputies found the suspect and chased him for a while. They eventually lost him.
He was later spotted at a convenience store in Monticello. Leazenby said he swerved through corn fields as well in White County.
According to Sgt. Riley, Indiana State Police picked up the chase on State Road 26 and U.S. 52 in West Lafayette.
Riley said as the chase was underway on U.S. 52, the boy tried to run a trooper off the road. Two Troopers in a marked State Police vehicle attempted to deploy stops sticks just north of 275 South. The driver of the pickup ran off the roadway to avoid striking the sticks and then turned west on 275 South. Riley said a train was crossing 275 just past Weaver Lane. As the suspect came up over a hill, he swerved to miss the train and jumped a guardrail. Riley said the truck hit the train, but there was little damage to the vehicle or the train.
A trooper ordered the juvenile driver out of the vehicle. He was taken into custody as other police officers arrived to assist. He is being held on Felony Resisting with a Vehicle, Operating a Vehicle While Never Receiving a License and Driving While Suspended.
The train stopped while CSX inspected, according to Riley.
There were no injuries reported in the chase.
- Multi-County chase ends as 15-year-old driver swerves to avoid train
- Man arrested after multi-county chase
- Four-county police chase ends in arrest
- I-65 police chase ends in Clinton County
- Lafayette police looking for missing 15-year-old
- Drivers should avoid US 231 South due to gas leak
- Indiana man gets 15-year prison term in terror-related case
- Driver in multistate police chase released from hospital
- After police chase, passenger arrested, driver still missing
- Multi-billion dollar company breaks ground in Lebanon