FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) — Prosecutors have filed formal charges against a man accused of killing and raping an 8-year-old Indiana girl in 1988.
The Allen County Prosecutor's Office filed charges of murder and child molestation on Wednesday against 59-year-old John D. Miller, of Grabill, in the killing of April Tinsley, of Fort Wayne. His initial hearing is scheduled for Thursday in Allen Circuit Court.
Court records don't list an attorney for Miller who might comment on his behalf.
The mother of an 8-year-old Indiana girl who was abducted, raped and killed in 1988 wants prosecutors to seek the death penalty against the man accused of the crimes.
Allen County prosecutors on Tuesday declined to discuss whether they'll seek the death penalty against John D. Miller in the killing of April Tinsley. But the girl's mother, Janet Tinsley, told the Journal Gazette that she wants to be present if the Grabill man is put to death.
"I want to be the last face he sees," she said.
Miller is being held without bond. He was arrested Sunday after authorities say they linked him to the crime through public DNA databases.
- Charges filed in 1988 killing of Indiana girl
- Suspect in 1988 killing of Indiana girl, 8, appears in court
- Murder charge filed in Indiana deputy's death
- Charges filed against drug suspects
- Indiana woman formally charged in stepdaughter's killing
- Indiana man charged in alleged plot to poison baby girl
- WARM & WET, BUT THE MOST INACTIVE JUNE SEVERE WEATHER-WISE SINCE 1988
- 2 Indianapolis men charged in shooting that killed girl, 1
- Drug charges filed against Rensselaer man
- Federal charges filed against Lafayette man