LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Central Catholic girls soccer program has never reached the heights that it has in the 2019 season.
Bill Kerr's team topped Boone Grove in the Class A Kokomo semi-state championship last weekend to earn the program's first ever trip to the state finals.
They've taken a "family first" approach all the way into the final weekend of the season.
"We're all family," said sophomore midfielder Karsyn Cherry. "We are really are. Especially coming from a school like this. We see each other every day in the hallways. So doing that makes us a lot closer, and even some of us are in the same classes so it's really fun and it brings us really close and you can see it in our play."
Cherry and teammate Caroline Lutz each broke the previous school record for goals in a single season. Cherry currently leads the Knights. The two midfielders are just two pieces to the puzzle that has lead the Knights to a 19-2-1 record.
"They have this thing what they call a secret soccer sister," head coach Bill Kerr. "They really develop that bond of being sisters. When things are going maybe bad for us as a team during a particular game, things aren't going well, everybody is there to pick everybody up. We're all so supportive or they're supportive of each other."
This team relies on each other. Something they'll have to do one more time in an effort to bring home their first state title in school history.
"We really came together at the beginning of this season, during the off season" said Lutz.
"We trained a lot together and we knew our team chemistry was really good. We had a lot of team bonding and stuff. But like all these girls, I wouldn't want to play with anybody else. We're all so close like everyone understands each other."
The Knights take on Park Tudor for the Class A state championship Friday night at Fishers High School.
- Central Catholic girls soccer rides "family" mentality into state final
- Central Catholic falls short in girls soccer state finals
- Central Catholic girls soccer advances to state final, routs Boone Grove 9-3
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic vs. Benton Central (BBB)
- Central Catholic, Benton Central capture sectional titles
- Central Catholic routs Clinton Prairie, advances to sectional final
- Central Catholic volleyball ready for semi-state showdown with Pioneer
- Central Catholic baseball advances to semi-state with 3-1 win
- Central Catholic duo preparing for state tennis championship
- Central Catholic falls one game short of state title berth