INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) - The 102nd running of the Indianapolis 500 is just two days away. Thousands of people from all around the world are at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, celebrating Carb Day Friday.
It's in Brian Goslee's blood.
"My dad was an auto mechanic in the 80s," said Goslee.
Like father, like son, Goslee loved working on cars.
"Had a little problem finishing all my dinner when I was a kid and my incentive if I finished all my food, was I could go out in the garage with my dad," said Goslee.
After graduating from Lafayette Central Catholic in 1998, he went a little off track.
"Had a big interest in art. I was actually going to Purdue for art and got to college and just didn't feel like it was my calling anymore," said Goslee.
So, he found himself back in the garage.
"Started talking to different managers and personnel until I got a job in Indy car. Started in Indy Car in 2004 and have been in it ever since," said Goslee.
It wasn't as easy as he makes it sound.
"I didn't become a crew chief and make it to the top level as a mechanic by just you know, waiting around and doing the bare minimum so having a lot of self motivation is huge," said Goslee.
Goslee doesn't just work on Jack Harvey's car. He helps him in and out of it too. He also makes sure he has enough water to drink for the race. The two have gotten pretty close.
"We went and had a team grill out at his house which he organized for everybody which I thought was super nice," said Jack Harvey.
It's not all fun. There's a lot at stake in Goslee's position.
"If we have a mechanical error, if we assemble something wrong, if we have a part failure on our part, we are out of the race," said Goslee.
Harvey has faith in his crew. He hopes they'll be celebrating Goslee style Sunday.
"Grill out at Brian's if we win the race and you guys are all invited," said Harvey.
- Central Catholic grad works the pits on Carb Day
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic vs. Benton Central (BBB)
- Central Catholic, Benton Central capture sectional titles
- Frank Vogel, Lakers hire Central Catholic grad Dru Anthrop as video coordinator
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 76, Rossville 47 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 48, Attica 37 (GBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 79, Attica 48 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 77, Andrean 70
- HIGHLIGHTS: Central Catholic 63, Cathedral 59 (GBB)
- Central Catholic ready for Furst, Blackhawk Christian