LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)- The Columbian Park Zoo will officially open for the 2019 season Saturday, and this opening weekend has an 'eggstra' special event that you won't want to miss.
In celebration of Earth Day next week, the zoo is hosting an 'EGG-stravaganza!" this Easter Sunday.
"We're having Earth Day EGG-stravaganza! on Sunday. It's from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.," Zoo Director Neil Dale said. "This year we've partnered with Tate & Lyle so they'll have a station set up for kids to plant their own flowers. We'll also have a lot of activities going on in the education center, as well as on the grounds with interactive visits with some animals."
Operating hours are 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., seven days a week. However, the zoo will transition into its extended hours after Memorial Day Weekend.
Dale said the animals are all ready outside and waiting for the kids to visit them.
"All of our animals are out and ready to go. We've been freshening up the grounds and getting ready for summer and we're ready to open," Dale said.
The zoo will open on Saturday rain or shine.
Dale also mentioned the zoo's upcoming construction for its new penguin exhibit will not impact zoo-goers in any way.
- Celebrate the opening of Columbian Park Zoo and Earth Day this weekend
- Columbian Park Zoo opens for season
- Columbian Park Zoo moves into fall hours
- Columbian Park Zoo closing for winter
- Columbian Park Zoo hosts first ever Zoo Year's Eve Party
- Columbian Park Zoo preparing for Boo at the Zoo
- City looks to add more exhibits to Columbian Park Zoo
- Columbian Park Zoo saying goodbye to its 70-year-old tortoise
- Work to begin on Columbian Park Zoo penguin exhibit
- Construction for the Columbian Park Zoo Penguin Exhibit is underway