LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A thief got away with a Lafayette homeowner's package but they may not get away with the crime. The whole incident was captured on a home recording device and we have the video.
It happened a little after 5 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 10. The family reports it was delivered around 5 p.m. the night before.
You can see the person standing on the porch as they seek for any onlookers. Then they reach down and take off with the package.
Homeowner Dennis Steele didn't suspect a theft at first.
“My daughter sends a lot of stuff here, my daughter orders,” said Dennis. “They live in a different little, small-town here and she can't get packages delivered to her house and so she sends them here.”
His daughter called him to tell him the package was marked delivered. But when it was nowhere to be found, he decided to check his cameras.
“If you don't have cameras you're going to get robbed blind,” said Dennis. “You're going to anyway but at least you got evidence.”
Steele has lived in the Perrine Street neighborhood since the 60s. He invested in these cameras more than 10 years ago.
He said the neighborhood isn't what it used to be.
“It's not the worst neighborhood in the city, I don't think but it could be and if something isn't done, it will be,” said Dennis.
This isn't the first time the Steele family has dealt with unwanted people on their property. He's hoping by sharing this video, it'll deter people from taking things that don't belong to them.
“I hate to be that way, I hate to be the guy that rats on everybody but you gotta protect your stuff, you know and if that's what it takes, that's what it takes,” said Dennis.
As for leaving his neighborhood, Steele said that won't be happening anytime soon.
“It's not going to run me out,” said Dennis. “If you come here and do something on my property, I'm going to hunt you down that's the way it is I'll get the police on it and we'll hunt you down and we'll stop it from happening.”
Dennis Steele said the suspected thief got away with a dress and baby bottle. The items were for his granddaughter. Lafayette Police are investigating the incident.
- Caught on camera: Lafayette resident catches porch pirate in act
- Possible bobcat sighting caught on camera in Lafayette neighborhood
- Lafayette fire facility catches fire
- West Lafayette graduate, Pittsburgh Pirate Bob Friend dies at 88
- A porch pirate stole a package from a home, then threw shade with a snarky thank-you note
- House catches fire in northern West Lafayette
- Fire officials issue warning after rescue attempt caught on camera
- School bus stop arm violations caught on camera in Delphi
- Taillon outpitches Hamels, Pirates beat Cubs 5-1.
- Lafayette resident speaks out over sidewalks