SANTA CRUZ, Ca. (CBS/WLFI) - A construction giant, with a presence in Lafayette, is taking legal action against a small, independent coffee shop. It has many people scratching their heads.
Last month, Caterpillar sent a cease and desist letter to California coffee shop, "Cat and Cloud." It said the shop's name violated its trademark on the word "Cat."
The store's owners said they're now having to shell out legal fees to defend their name, and they have no idea why they would have caught Caterpillar's attention. Customers were surprised too.
"We'll never change the name, there's no point," said owner Jared Truby. "We are who we are, there's nothing to be afraid of."
According to a Go-Fund-Me the owners made to help with legal fees, Cat and Cloud already has a Class 25 Trademark on its own name. Caterpillar is petitioning the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to cancel it.
Cat and Cloud said there are other small businesses they're going after as well.
- Caterpillar sues small California coffee shop
- School coffee shop teaches valuable life skills
- Oscar Winski expands to former Caterpillar building
- If approved, Caterpillar $70 million renovation plan would add jobs
- Lafayette Redevelopment Commission approves tax abatement for Caterpillar's renovation plan
- City council approves 10-year tax abatement for Caterpillar
- California judge rules that coffee requires cancer warning
- Owners of the Sacred Grounds coffee shop awarded with a historical preservation award
- Small businesses want you to consider shopping local this holiday season
- Caterpillar donates $21,000 to an educational workshop for local childcare providers